Saturday, February 24, 2007

The music of knitting!

No picture today because my battery ran out, but I have to tell you about the music of knitting. Officially referred to as Orchestral Apparatus for Knitting - Laure Drogoul organized a group of 6 knitters, each using a different type of needles - big wood ones, thin metal, thick metal, thick and thin plastic, etc..... with each needle set attached to some sort of electronic pick-up. The sounds of each needle set clicking, rubbing, even the sound of the yarn sliding on the needle..... all fed into a sound system, and heard over a speaker system! Very cool..... not exactly musical, but interesting. Some of the knitters seemed experienced, and had a good rhythm, while others were beginners, kind of working at each stitch. Some were clearly just trying to knit, while others seemed to figure out that they had some control over the sound coming from the nearby speakers! It is so much fun to have your perceptions changed. I remember the clicking of the neighbor lady's knitting when I was a kid. I'm sure she never thought of working with the sounds of the process. I certainly know I concentrated only on trying to wrap the yarn right as she showed me how! Today I learned that she and I created some music!

No comments: