Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Weeds to some - Thistles to others

I always learned that weeds are simply plants that someone doesn't want in that particular spot. About 5o years ago, my grandfather paid me 50 cents a day to cut the "bull thistles" out of the sheep pasture. Some of them were bigger than me, and I treasured the pocket watch I bought at the local "five and dime".

Last summer, much to my Mom's dismay, I insisted that Dad not cut down the glorious thistle growing in their front yard, and this summer we have carefully mowed around two somewhat less glorious thistles in my yard. The bee in the above picture was grateful I'm sure, and I have enjoyed the wonderful flowers, the dark green foliage, and the very busy ants farming a bumper crop of aphids.
The thistle above grows in my sister-in-law's back yard. Like me, she sometimes has odd notions, a thing I love dearly about her. She has been known to save milkweed in the back yard. I still have some seeds from that New Hampshire denison. A Scottish friend has enlightened her about the thistle's role in Scottish folklore, and thus part of the interest, but I suspect she might have let them grow anyway. Notice the intricate webbing between the parts of the budding flower, and also at around 1 o'clock - upper part of the picture, you can see a stink bug. I think nature is glad when we just let her do her thing! Another view below.

No comments: