Saturday, May 17, 2008

The blades aren't up yet, but the towers of the Cohocton Wind Farm are visible all over the old neighborhood where my Dad and Mom grew up. The view above is from the front yard of a house my Dad spent part of his youth in! (click picture for a closer view) The day was a bit too cloudy to get a nice clear shot, but these towers are visible from most everywhere around Ingleside and coming down main street in Naples. The picture below was taken across the road from my Mom's childhood home! I was in Naples for the funeral of my cousin Tom's mom. She was married to my Grandpa Olney's brother's kid - Harley. They were a big part of my childhood..... hosting the huge family reunions of the day, and a big part of church and sunday school.

Life goes on, as the wind farm transforms the old neighborhood, providing clean energy, despite the protests of those who think they are the end of the world as we know it. I heard a story yesterday that someone was convinced that wind farms raise the temperature of the surrounding area! I guess warming things up by burning coal, oil, and natural gas is a better way to do it, with toxic fumes thrown in for free???????????????? Evidently epileptics can have seizures if they watch the blades spin..... any statistics on asthma available? Seems like you can fairly easily avoid looking at windmills, but it is pretty hard to stop breathing. Did anybody ever just stop and watch a nuclear power plant?

No comments: