Monday, October 27, 2008

Not sure why I'm doing this!

This one will be sans pictures. My friend Salena over at The Daily Rant, sent along a challenge to write about 7 "weird and random" things about myself. Part of the deal is that I'm also supposed to link to Highway Hags ..... that I'm willing to do because I love their blog too. Both of these blogs are written by women truckers, and both are very interesting. The next part of the deal is to "tag" 7 other bloggers with the same challenge. That part I'm not going to do, for a couple of reasons. The main reason is that I don't really read 7 other blogs, and secondarily, I hate anything that smacks of "chain letter".

I'll make an attempt at the 7 "weird and random" things. My first thought is that my neice Maeve and nephew Wyatt would immediately say --- "only 7 Uncle Don?" Second thought is that they both read my blog, so I have to be somewhat circumspect?

1. While our business - Louise's Daughter - was started by my wife Cheryl, she and I are both very much involved in the design, making, selling, schlepping, booth setting upping, etc. However, since the figures are pretty much all women, and they have an ethnic sensibility, pretty much everyone thinks Cheryl does all of it, and I just sort of tag along to do the heavy lifting! At shows I get very annoyed at the "what's this white man doing in what is obviously a black woman's booth?" looks that I get. I often get told that it is just proper payback for us white males getting all the credit for all those years, but I still get annoyed! (see the comment on the Wedding Day entry below --- I'm still not absolutely sure she is joking?) On the other hand, I very much understand my woman woodworker friends who complain about folks asking when their husband will be back!

2. My right ear works a lot better than the left one. After finally getting my hearing evaluated professionally - which was a lot of fun by the way --- the audiologist told me that my left ear does not work as well as the right one. DUH! My regular doctor called it "old ear".... Maeve and Wyatt will love that!

3. My daughter-in-law and I share this one. We are both a bit annoyed that Maya (her daughter and my granddaughter) seems to like Casey - her Dad and Cheryl - her grandmother - better!

4. This one sort of relates to the driving theme from Salena ---- I'm often struck that it is pretty amazing that we rely on two things when driving. One - that the other folks on the road will usually follow the rules, like staying on their side of that flimsy little line down the middle of the road at 70 miles an hour! Two, -especially in the dark --- the world does not end just a bit ahead of the reach of our headlights, and that bridge that I drove over last time down this road, will still be there tonight! Though once I learned that a bridge I had driven over a few hours earlier, had since dropped into the river below ---- to this day I "gun" it over the replacement bridge!

5 . My right wrist does not bend very well because I went through it with a radial arm saw about 30 years ago.

6. I own about the 4th or 5th largest collection of spinning tops in the world, and I do a great spinning top show for kids of all ages!

7. I'm allergic to wheat.... I don't swell up or anything like that, but I just feel better if I don't eat it. Thus I relate to Salena's description of eating the cheese n stuff off the slice..... I just don't eat the rest of it later. To substitute, I make a mean oatmeal pizza!

This is sort of fun, but I'll stick to the rules and stop at 7. Check out Salena's Blog...... don't become her friend though, or she may stick you with a project ;-)

Thanks Salena!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Don,

I feel your pain about the looks you get at shows. I go through the same thing in reverse. I can't count the number of times I have arrived at a shipper, gone in to check in and find out where they wanted the trailer, and had to listen to, "tell your husband to put it in dock number seven."

I've actually had a couple of them over the years come right out and say something like, "No offense there, Little Lady, but I don't think a woman can hit that there dock. Can your company send a man over to do it for you?"

I tend to get a little annoyed, too. But in the end I usually just end up rolling my eyes and slamming that trailer in the hole. Stace says I never back better than when my abilities have been questioned. :)

I went and looked at your tops... wow! Those are awesome. How did you get started collecting them?

Oh, and you didn't actually have to link to Hags although I'm glad you did. I think you are only required by law to link to the person who tagged you, but I can't blame you for wanting to cover all your bases. :)

The Daily Rant said...

Don,

Thanks so much for doing the 7 things - I SO appreciate it! I'm with you really on the tagging thing - I actually NEVER tag anyone. LOL I just thought this time, I was actually interested in what you all had to say. Like you, I don't really read a lot of blogs, so at least two people I tagged I don't even know very well!