Sunday, September 21, 2008

A little bit of history?

While cleaning out the old office space that used to be occupied by The Toycrafter, the guy doing the work found the above picture, and passed it on to me. A lot of thinking ensued about where this could have been taken. I've been doing my spinning top show for a great many years, and this show is being done on a wooden table I built with a green cloth hanging around it. For a long time I have used a Sears rolling tool chest to carry the tops and to demonstrate tops on, so this rig is pretty early. I didn't recognize the location, or any of the people. Since I'm not really good at labeling pictures, I never looked at the back until Cheryl pointed to it! The picture was probably taken by my old friend Jim LaVilla Havelin, who at the time the picture was taken was the head honcho at the Cleveland Children's Museum.... being more organized than myself, he had labeled the back.... no date though, but a search of an information recording program that I have used for years, revealed that I sent Jim a note in late 1993. So that would make me 47 in the picture!

I'm impressed that Jim actually has a Wikipedia entry! He is currently the Director of Young Artist Programs at the Southwest School of Art and Craft in San Antonio, Texas!

No comments: