Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Long wait

A few years ago I bought what I thought was going to be some sunflower plants. Expecting some small potted plants, I got a couple of bags of dirt that had some pretty much dead looking roots mixed in. I figured I'd been had by the internet garden sales folks, but after finding one tiny (and I do mean tiny) green spot on one of the roots, I stuck them in the ground - basically figuring it couldn't hurt? While these small flowers ( on very tall stems) don't appear till around mid September, they are very nice, and as the sort of last hurrah for the season, they are quite welcome. That little bag of dirt and roots, will produce over 50 of these beauties this season if the frost holds off. If past experience holds, there will be over 100 next year! This is fun!

No comments: