Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tomato Sprouts?

This tomato seemed odd from the beginning. I bought it about 6 weeks ago - almost ripe, it should have ripened in a couple of days, but it stayed pretty much exactly in the same semi-ripe state until tonight, when I gave up and sliced into it for inclusion in our dinner. Imagine my surprise when I saw tiny tomato seeds growing inside! Maybe this is not unusual, but it sure surprised me. Like always, I must experiment, and see if I can get these to grow through the winter? Maybe I can get a couple to grow and get Dad to put one of them under his grow lite.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I had a pumpkin once that did the same thing...when I gutted it, half of the seeds on the inside had already sprouted and started growing. Alas, they were anemic...and doomed...probably there would have been no way to nurse a pumpkin plant through a New England winter in any event!