Monday, February 09, 2009

More stuff I've learned about my cancer treatments!

Click on the image for a bigger more readable view.

They have been telling me for a while about how precise and controlled the radiation is that bombards me each day, but the other day I figured out more about how they do it. While the computer, programming, etc. are pretty complex, the mechanics are pretty simple. The graphic above - created by me - explains the basics. The circle above is basically the view I get as I slide under the head of the machine each day.

A whole series of pretty thin lead plates are moved back and forth with little servo motors to open up just exactly the right shape "window" for the radiation to come out of. The plates are thin as you look up at them, but they are pretty thick vertically, and are neatly "notched" on the sides to make sure there are no gaps for extra radiation to leak through. As the machine head rotates to each of the 7 positions where it stops to "zap" me, those little lead plates slide around to open up a differently shaped little window at each position. That creates a very specific pattern of radiation that hits where they want to hit, and skips what they want to avoid. I think they are even able to vary the radiation strength in different areas of the window!

The other thing I learned today was that I won't know the results for at least a couple of months! The cancer cells have been rendered weak, but not dead and gone for while after the treatments stop. I was picturing a blood test next Tuesday after my last treatment, with a PSA of ZERO, but I guess not --- :-( Oh well!

2 comments:

Anne said...

after Dave's initial surgery & treatments his tumor markers shot WAY the hell up...dr. said that's exactly what you expect them to do. Go figure.

Sequana said...

Just keep taking care of yourself and have positive thots. That's all you can do at this point.

I know waiting is hard, but needful. I'm pulling for you way out here in Chicago, remember. *S*