Saturday, January 03, 2009

Elly

Met with the Oncology social worker on Friday. A great woman - 83 years young, and still plying her trade! I really enjoyed the chance to spill a few! She is sort of a "central casting" grandmother! She gave me a little talk about journal writing as a helpful and accepted thing to do, and gave me a very nice bound "journal" to use. Being more of a computer person, I thought of rejecting it, but it looked like a nice book. I was expecting nice blank pages ready to accept my hopes, complaints, and other such, but upon unwrapping it at home, discovered it to be more of a "workbook" sort of thing. Only about 1/2 empty, and with far too many "guiding thoughts".
"List the ways your bald head is beautiful." "This page is for your Joy thoughts" "What about your cancer makes you angry?" Lots of that sort of thing. Even a list of "Feeling Words" - circle those that apply? Part of the chapter entitled "I Want To Be Positive, But I Feel So Negative"

My favorite line from the author of "My Healing Companion" --- in the "Write to Survive" chapter ---- "I have all types of cancer patients who journal: prostrate patients, .................................." I pretty much quit right there. I guess spell checker didn't catch that one.

Don't get me wrong..... I'm very glad to have Elly on my side. She is very warm and understanding, but with a strong sense of reality and practicality --- "Bring me a copy of your Health Care Proxy next time!" She is going to be a great resource. I like writing/blogging, but I think I'll skip "My Healing Companion"!


3 comments:

Sequana said...

Hey.....maybe they're really ill and can't get outta bed....you know

PROSTRATE!

The Daily Rant said...

What if you did a weekly "journal" for us and took one of those sentences out of the journal and just wrote about it here?

It might be interesting.

Don Olney said...

I'll think about it??? Intriguing.

Today was treatment 6 --- 29 to go!