Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The view from here

Here is the view as I walk into the room with my friendly neighborhood radiation machine. The entire front portion of the machine rotates, pretty much centered on the middle of that computer screen. The radiation comes from that big over head round thing. I lay on that table to the left.... it will rise up and move under the head. My prostate neighborhood will be centered on the rotation axis of the machine, and directly under the head. Servo motors rotate the head, and also move around shields inside that focus the beam narrowly to hit just the right spot each time. Below is me -- the real me this time - not a stand-in. The big head of the machine has rotated around and is now aimed upward from under my right hip. The technician took this shot on the way out of the room. The machine will now "zap" me twice from this position, and then rotate about 45 degrees and do it again, continuing 5 more times until it is on this side of the picture, with the last "zaps" coming up through my left hip. The blue thingy under my legs is my personally molded bean bag leg positioning device. If you click on the picture to make it bigger, you can read my name on it..... Olney - not a number!
Below is the view as I look up at the ceiling -- pretty much no where else to look ;-)

1 comment:

Sequana said...

For pete's sake...they could at least have a pic with some bikni- clad girls on that beach!