Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday with Dad

Dad and I have been trying to get a railing installed in their dining room to make it easier for Mom to get around the house. I can't begin to tell you when we first thought this was a good and necessary idea, but it was way too long ago. I bought the railings some time ago, and went to work on installing them, but discovered the wall seems to have virtually no internal structure. Could not find any studs at all behind the 1/4" thick homasote fiberboard (?) wall. Thus another delay to get two backer boards made that could attach at each end, and then attach the railing to that. Then the boards were a smidge too long. Two different neighborhood handipersons agreed to install the railings when my hip replacement surgery was scheduled, but neither ever showed up. So, today we decided it was time, and after about 2 1/2 hours work, we got them installed. At least I had the railing to hang on to when I hauled myself off the floor when we got done! :>) Odd colors in the picture below, but there they are!
When we got done, Dad offered to buy lunch at the South Wedge Diner. Outside Dad spotted a MG Midget. Since he used to drive a MGB, we had to check it out!
I've got to say that doing projects with Dad is just as much fun as it was when I was a kid!

No comments: