Tuesday, April 07, 2009

History

Another picture from last weeks "search for old stuff" trip to Naples, NY. Here lies Bart and wife Kittie. In the diary (1886), Bart is 17 years old, and is off working at Leicester Fox's farm for $15 per month, plus food, laundry, and mending. His dad gets the $15. Bart and Kittie are my great grandparents. I have vague memories of Kittie, but Bart died before I was born.

I didn't find Henry and Sarah's stone. Turned out I was in the wrong cemetery. They are buried in Old Ingleside Cemetery - right across the street from the church. I was searching around the New Ingleside Cemetery - just a quarter mile down the road. I'm sort of glad I was in the wrong place because I found this stone, and the stone of my great grandfather and grandmother on my Mom's side too.... below.
I'm fascinated that while I don't remember them, Clarke and Jennie Drake certainly knew me because I was two/three when they died. Clarke appears in Henry's diary a bit later in the year, and thus I think, is the only character in that 1886 diary that I knew, smiled at, threw up on, sat in his lap, ???? I was about the age of my granddaughter Maya when I knew Clarke and Jennie Drake! As you will see later in the year, my great grandfather Clarke- age 22 at the time, bought raspberries from my great great grandfather Henry, years before their grandchild and great grandchild would marry and create me! Here in New Ingleside Cemetery my two sets of great grandparents lie just a few yards apart, with Bart never knowing that they were more than just neighbors!

No comments: