Sunday, September 04, 2011

Spinning Tops at Genesee Country Village and Museum

Yesterday I presented spinning tops at the Genesee Country Village and MuseumAbove - the crowd was manageable, so I actually put a variety of tops out on my top cabinet for folks to just play with.Above - one of my Watts' Tops spinning perfectly! These tops are a wonderful larger top made by my friend Walter Watts. Definitely not for the beginner, but a great move up when you've mastered the regular peg tops!
Above, Cory and Jeremiah, looking over the assortment of tops on my cart. They both became quite good at top spinning, and Cory even got very close to making the boomerang throw work!
Above - Brian, a regular volunteer at the Village, and a very good top thrower, demonstrates the proper winding of the string! He is great at getting kids and adults successfully spinning a top in a short period of time! He has got what I call a "Silver Surfer" stance that he teaches, with the throwing arm up and back, and the other arm out front and pointing to the target spot, that seems to help people get the throw right. I think I showed him some more advanced stuff, and he definitely has influenced how I will teach top throwing in the future. It was great fun working with someone who knew his way around tops. Usually I'm the only one around with enthusiasm, skills, and interest!
Above, Brian and some visitors gathered around the top display.

The following is quoted from the Genesee Country Village and Museum web page....

In season, Genesee Country Village & Museum features costumed interpreters in restored historic buildings, breathing life into an authentic 19th-Century Country Village.
One of the largest living history museums in the country located just outside of Rochester, NY, in
Mumford, NY, it is also home to the John L. Wehle Art Gallery (now closed for renovation) and a nature center. Plan ahead with a membership.

No comments: